Friday 21 February 2014

So, sometimes you might need to leave your dog in the car...

As every dog owner knows, leaving your dog in the car on a warm day can result in the dog's death very quickly. Every year, there seems to be a headline about a new tragedy because of this, and I urge dog owners not to do it. However, there are times when it's really difficult to avoid it. If this is a problem you have sometimes, take a look at Ventlocks.

I came across this website as we do sometimes find ourselves in a situation where we have to leave the dogs in the car. Last November, we went away with the family, who aren't dog owners, and there were times when the dogs couldn't be with us, like when we had dinner in their log cabin. We left them in their crate in the boot, with the car parked just outside the cabin where we could see it through the window. Our dogs are very happy in the crate in the boot and will both curl up together and go to sleep. Of course, it's pretty cold in November so we just made sure the car was in sight so no one could steal the dogs or the car with the dogs inside.

Come spring and Autumn, I would want plenty of ventilation for them and the Ventlock seems to a solution for us. However, I would always ensure the car is parked where we can always see it and never leave them for too long without checking on them. I will also be purchasing a dish that fixes inside their crate so they always have water available.

One last thing, I would still NEVER ever leave them in the car in summer.

I did want some reviews and thoughts on this product so I asked on a very good forum, here's my thread.

Of course, for some, it is easier to leave the dogs in the caravan with the windows open. Unfortunately for us, Alice gets a bit panicked if we leave her in there and barks continuously but I will be doing some training to remedy this. We are fortunate to be able to keep our caravan on my parents' driveway so I will be leaving her in their for ten minutes at a time, coming back, ignoring her then praising her for calm and quiet behaviour. Then extending the time she is left, whilst the caravan is in a familiar place. Then we could leave her if we are staying at a secure caravan site but we'll see how that goes!

Happy Caravanning!

No comments:

Post a Comment